跳到主要內容區塊

宜蘭設治紀念館

宜蘭設治紀念館

宜蘭設治紀念館

:::

英文版

列印[另開新視窗]

A Start with the Preservation of an Old Camphor Tree


Memorial Hall of Founding of Yilan Administration was originally official residence of magistrates. In the garden, there are giant trees and the most prominent one is a valuable old camphor tree of more than 100 years old. However, preserving one old tree would not make sufficient sense to the preservation. This building itself is the witness of the political development of Yilan and has its irreplaceable historical value. Therefore, the Yilan County Government decided to retain the building in its Nanmen Project and restore to its original features and make it the Memorial Hall of Founding of Yilan Administration, giving new life to this old building.

Old camphor tree

100-year old camphor tree opened the rebirth of the Official Residence.

Home environment

Magistrate Residence of Yilan in 1911 (contributed by Mr. Ryuichi Komatsu) 

Official Residence

The living space of the rear balcony in the Official Residence (taken in 1917 or 1918 and contributed by Mr. Ryuichi Komatsu)

Mixed Japanese & Western Architectural Style


The Memorial Hall was first built in 1900 with a total space of 800 pings (2,648 m2, 1 ping= 3.31 m2) and building space of 74 (245 m2). It mixed the Japanese wooden house pattern with the western classic building style. Other than the building of Official Residence, the garden is the most featured part of the overall space. The imitated hills and waters and rocks inside the Japanese style garden landscape is scattered with flowers and trees. The plantation arrangement made it peaceful and elegant. 

 

Japanese and Western architectural style Building
Building, mixed with Japanese and Western architectural style 

Japanese style garden

Japanese style garden

 

New Branches from Ancient Tree- The Rebirth of the Historical Architecture
The Magistrate Residence has been dwelling for more than 20 local chiefs. The internal partitions and structures had been changed repeatedly, which caused difficulties in the restoration work. Through the careful planning of specialists and delicate works of craftsmen, the old official residence finally demonstrated its new scene. On December 13, 1997, the Memorial Hall of Founding of Yilan Administration, the firstly restored official residence, was inaugurated, continuing to be witness the Yilan history.

 The Memorial Hall

 The Memorial Hall of the Founding of Yilan Administration before the restoration

 The Memorial Hall
 

The Memorial Hall of the Founding of Yilan Administration after the restoration

 

Special Exhibition: Retrospect  --- Special Exhibition – Major Historical Events of Yilan

In the vast space and long time
With minimal steps, the human beings
Made their long way in history


The special exhibition, “Retrospect” is to revise the history of Yilan people through the events which affected the development of the society, economy and politic of Yilan, using time as the warp and the stories as the weft. 
Hope through the reflection of the history, we can see the road we came through and march forward to a better future with firmer and steadier steps.

Garden Historical Space1

 Garden Historical Space2

 Garden Historical Space3 

 

Nanmen (South Gate in Chinese) Garden Historical Space


 The Yilan old city was the political, culture and educational center of Lanyang Plain, among which the Nanmen (South Gate) area was the place where governmental offices were located during Japanese regime. The official residence complex outside the Nanmen area had a wide coverage and was large in scale. We could find from the layout of the Construction of Official Residences that there were 3 independent official residences and 7 double combined official residences. After the southward removal of Yilan County Government, this area was converted into a residential and commercial district and the planning to retain the original plantation and historical space inside the Nanmen Garden Reserve started. After the restoration, the vestibule of the old prison, the old residence of the secretary general and of the principal were given with new life and has become an important humanity space of Yilan County.

 

Vestibule of the previous Yilan Prison
201204030225057.jpg  The Yilan Prison was built in 1896 and was one of the first administrative buildings, constructed during the Japanese regime. It was called “Yilan Prison Office” initially. With many name changes, finally it was named as Taiwan Yilan Prison in 1947 and remained until now. In 1992, it was removed southward to Sanshing and the vestibule of the old prison was retained and restored for reuse in the year 2001. It is now a small but pretty environmental gallery in the

 

Residence of the Previous Secretary General
This building was completed in 1906 with a traditional Japanese wood structure. Originally it was a residence for Chief of the General Affair Section. After World War II, it was turned to be residence of the Secretary General of the County Government. In the site, there were well- organized trees and facilities. It was a larger and more complete Japanese style residence among the Nanmen (South Gate) residence complex. It was restored between 2001 and 2003 as space for multi-utilizations such as performance, food and beverage and social exchange and was entrusted to private firm for operation and management. Residence of the Previous Secretary General 

 

Residence of the Previous Principal of the Agriculture and Forestry School
The Yilan Agriculture and Forestry School 

The Yilan Agriculture and Forestry School was founded in 1926. At that time, the Japanese Ruler set aside a residence from the Magistrate Mansion for the principal to glorify the status of principal of this school. It was just next to the current Memorial Hall of Founding of Yilan Administration with a quite intimate space relation. The Principal’s Residence was conducted restoration between 2002 and 2004. The work was so well planned, in material and in craftsmanship as well as in environmental improvement that it won recognition of the 5th Gold Medal for Public Construction for its repair and maintenance quality, which was the first time that the restoration of the public heritage and historical building won the prize. Now, this building is commissioned to private firm for operation and management as well. 

 

 


 

The Memorial Hall of the Founding of Yilan Administration is like new branches and leaves, stemming from an old tree.
New Life growing from ancient soul 
Extending from history and viewing the future.

  • Opening Hours: 9:00 - 17:00 Mon-Sun. 9:00 - 20:00 Fri-Sat.
  • Closing Days: Monday, the last day of the month and CHINESE NEW YEAR'S EVE
  • Admission Fee: NT$30 for full adult ticket, NT$20 for concessionary ticket and free of charge for citizens of Yilan County

Admission Fee for Group: NT$20 for full adult ticket and NT$15 for concessionary ticket
Group visitors are requested to make reservation. We reserve the right to control visitors when the number of visitors is high.

Address: No. 3, Lishing 3rd Lane, Jiocheng S. Rd. Yilan City
Tel: 03-9326664 
E-mail:yihistory@mail.e-land.gov.tw
Website:

open close